Sunday 14 May 2023

Kong: King of the Apes

Sometimes I try to convince Wolfie to watch something different, just so I can enjoy watching it with him. And sometimes we thus make happy discoveries. I stumbled on an animated series on Netflix, Kong: King of the Apes, freely based on, well, King Kong. It was a short lived series, lasting only two seasons from 2016 to 2018 and I understand it was neither popular nor critically acclaimed, that said we did enjoy it. It is not without its flaws, it might even be bad: the animation is not great, the story is very derivative and cliché ridden, with an environmental message that is hammered in with no subtlety whatsoever. But hey, it's a children cartoon and it has a giant gorilla fighting mecha monsters and so on. And the giant gorilla is freaking King Kong, so it cannot be all that bad. It's just like perfect matinee fun. I know this is not the only Kong cartoon and I hope to watch them all with Wolfie. Eventually, I will show him the original movie.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad you and Wolfie got a kick out of this!