Wednesday 24 May 2023

The Secret Hideout

 On their way back to school, Wolfie and a a friend of his, a girl who lives nearby, always stop by a tree in the middle of a small field and they get to play for a few minutes in their "secret hideout". The tree is surrounded by  a bit of shrubbery, so I guess it looks like they have a secluded meeting place. They bring branches, sticks, flowers and other things to "make it more secret". Sometimes they spend so much time there I get back to work late. Often, other friends gather wiht them. So it is a sort of secret hideout for children. They are even buolding a booby trap in it, to protect it from intruders. I.e. adults. We were discussing this with a mother yesterday and she was saying how her daughter wants her to plain the villain all the time in their game and it was weird how they'd see things in black and white. I told her: "Well, you need badguys in children's games, otherwise it's not good sport." Which I think deserves to be a great unknown line. Anyway, it's a shame that it is not closer to home, otherwise the hideout would be the centre of their games and we would have an excuse to get Wolfie outside quicker.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Kids and I in my neighbourhood played similar games with trees when I was young! Trees are so versatile!