Saturday 6 May 2023

Boxing Academy ("Defence Not Defiance")

I found this vintage publicity in a pub (sadly I cannot remember which one) in Sandown on the Isle of Wight. Now I love old pieces of vintage stuff on a normal day, but this one I found it particularly interesting. I love it for many. First, I love the motto at the bottom: "Defence not Defiance". I find it strong and quietly assertive. It reminds me of the bits of wisdom I received during my old Krav Maga training (which I need to get back into. Then I love the old fashioned, slightly ridiculous yet dignified look of the fighters here. I also find funny the now pathetic amount of money you could win to beat Bombardier Hughes, whoever he was. Oh and for the record I know who Gentleman Jim was. I don't know much about him, but I know the name. So, yeah. In sum, I love that picture.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm sure that was a lot of money when the sign was new!