Wednesday 16 January 2019

Bad news about bagels

I learned some really bad news for bagel lovers today: the St-Viateur in NDG is closing down. Because the rent is too high. And I thought naively that greedy swine landlords would never dare to hurt a Montreal institution. Worse than bad news: for amateur of true bagels, this is downright tragic. As my readership knows, St-Viateur Bagel literally makes the best bagels in the world. I have never been to the one on Monkland, but I was a regular visitor of the one on Mont-Royal Avenue, which I always visit when I go back home and where I stock myself with bagels for my time away if I can. Granted, they have other cafés, but one gone is one too many, a void that cannot be filled. Montreal is one step closer on becoming bland.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

But . . . but . . . they are a Montreal INSTITUTION! What a loss!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am shocked!