Tuesday 1 January 2019

Auld Lang Syne, version Starter for 10

First, happy new year everyone. I wanted to wish it on this post and start the new year like a good Brit (even though I am not one) with Auld Lang Syne. Well, sort of. As much as I try, I never liked new year celebrations much, or indeed anything related to the new year. So unlike Christmas and other holidays, I have very few New Year traditions, except watching Starter for 10, one of the very, very few romantic comedies I genuinely love and which I think truly has heart, spirit and intelligence. I associate it with the New Year for the scene I will share below. I don't think I need to give details, the context is pretty much all there. It's between James McAvoy, an actor I have not been following much otherwise, and Rebecca Hall, who I know a little better. I think why I love the whole movie and this scene in particular: we can all relate to the characters of Brian or Rebecca, because their actions and the mistakes they make are not unlike our own at their age. (For the record, nothing like that ever happened to me on New Year, although I did get into trouble once or twice in similar circumstances.)

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

happy new year!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like James McAvoy very much but have never seen that movie. Must have been one of his early ones.