Wednesday 19 August 2020

Samson killing a Philistine

This post is a bit of a correction of an another one: I blogged on Sunday about a statue that you can find on the garden of Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. I thought that it represented Cain killing Abel. I was wrong. My wife made a research and found that it is Samson killing a Philistine. More details about it here. I know far less about Samson than I knew about Cain, but I think it is the weapon that threw me off: in many traditions, and even some creative translations, Cain is described as killing his brother with a donkey's jawbone. Even though in Genesis, it is not specified how he commits the murder. Well, I thought this was quite interesting.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's hard to tell from the photo -- does Samson have his famous long hair?