Wednesday 12 August 2020

The lions of the British Museum

This picture comes from the Facebook page of the British Museum. They shared it recently because it was World Lion Day. I did not know such day existed, but I digress. The information given by the Museum regarding the statue: "This is one of the old British Museum Lions – cast-iron statues designed by sculptor Alfred Stevens in 1852 to sit on a low railing outside the Museum. The lions are around 35cm tall, and it’s thought that the regal posture was inspired by a particularly impressive cat belonging to one of the sculptor’s friends. " As a cat lover, I have no difficulties believing this. Now the railing has been dismantled and from what I understand there are no lions at the British Museum. Be that as it may, it reminded me that I want to go there not only for what's in it, but to enjoy the building itself.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Isn't there a famous quotation that says something like: "Humans domesticated cats because they wanted to pet lions"?