Sunday 16 August 2020

Cain and Abel?

I took this picture in Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, during our last visit there back in September 2019. Its ground has many statues, some modern and abstracts, some older and often representing characters from Greek or Roman mythology. I have not made any research on this one, but my bet is that it pictures not any dramatic moment of a greek myth, but the murder of Abel by Cain. I guess it could just as easily be Romulus killing Remus, and maybe it was the intention of the artist to remain ambiguous as to who they were, but my money is on Cain and Abel. The murderer looks plain nasty and does not show the dignity one would expect to find for the founder of Rome. The man giving the blow looks like an enraged savage. I know I could probably find it online with a bit of research, but just looking at the sculpture as it is, what's your take on it?

1 comment:

Ygraine said...

I agree, it is rather ambiguous. My first impression was that it is Romulus killing Remus.
The murderer does look rather nasty, doesn't he? But it is a great statue, in spite of it's aura of brutality.
I have visited many stately homes in the UK, but not this one. Next time I am in the area, I will make a point of dropping in there!
Many thanks for your interesting post.😊😊