Monday 16 March 2020

Ancient Ring from Ancient Rome

Yesterday was the anniversary of the assasination of Julius Caesar, the coup d'état that changed Ancient Rome forever and slowly turned it from a republic to an empire. I love history and have developed a keen interest in this particular time period. So anyway, the Facebook page of the British Museum shared this picture. This is what the Museum says about it: "This ring is thought to have been worn by one of Caesar’s supporters after his death, showing allegiance to Octavian and Mark Antony rather than Brutus and Cassius, who led the assassination. It is made of iron – considered lucky by the Romans – and shows a portrait of Caesar." I have little more to add, except that I find it fascinating and I was truly in awe when I saw it. I wish I could visit the British Museum, or Rome. Not anytime soon unfortunately.

No comments: