Sunday 6 September 2020

The Countess of York

This is the picture of the Countess of York, which you can find in the National Railway Museum of York. It is a restored railway carriage reconverted into a tea room. Apparently, they serve truly indulgent afternoon teas. I don't know why we did not go there when we visited the museum. Prohibitively expensive, maybe? (It is £25.50 per person for an afternoon tea). Not enough time? Be that as it may, we ate in the "ordinary" cafeteria, like the pleb we are. I must say, by hindsight I kind of regret it. Because for the experience of eating in a luxurious carriage, even though this one is not in motion, it would have been worth the expense. Anyway, whenever we revisit the NRM, I think we will go there for tea.

2 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

It does sound as if it would have been a very special experience. I should add that I’ve paid more than that for high tea at the very elegant, historic Windsor Hotel in Melbourne. It’s worth the expense for the experience, plus they usually give you enough food to fill you up! I hope you do return and have that afternoon tea.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, go for that indulgence! I have never regretted paying an arm-and-a-leg for any high tea I've had in a ritzy spot. You're paying for the experience and the ambience, not the food.