Thursday 13 June 2019

Chess

I took this picture in Totnes in Devon during their carnival procession (I think). I am using it because it illustrates tonight's topic, which is the ancient game of chess. I haven't played chess for years" Last time was not even playing "properly": it was against our old computer, on our old laptop, when I was unemployed and bored. But there was a time when I was an avid chess player: first playing mostly against my brother PJ, then against my best friend during childhood. I played chess from the age of eight until early teenage, then stopped. I have never been a good player: too impatient, unable to think ahead much, etc. I did play in a tournament in secondary school when I managed to beat two adversaries before being eliminated, but otherwise, I was not exactly Gary Kasparov. I think what I liked most about chess is the aesthetic of it: the black and white chess board and armies, the look of the pieces, etc. It is soberly elegant. So yes, I would like to play it again one day. Oh and on a side note, anybody knows who was Miss Torbay in 2014 and if she was meant to be the white queen?).

1 comment:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

teach wolfie while he is young!