Tuesday 26 November 2013

Earl Grey anecdote

I have mentioned here how important my morning dose of tea is for me to get through a working day. Last week at work, there was no more of Twining's Earl Grey in stock. Instead I had to take PG Tips. I hate PG Tips. I only take it when I need a quick tea fix. So when one of my German colleagues asked me how I was this morning, I answered: "Terrible, there is no more Earl Grey." She replied: "You are thinking like an Englishman." Shock horror. She was true of course. And this deserves to be a great unknown line. I said: "Now my day is taking a turn for the worse". This does deserve to be another great unknown line. The tragic irony is that my day did get worse. Nevertheless, it was a funny moment, if unsettling.

3 comments:

psyconym said...

Yes...that is very English..its alright for me to say that about Earl Grey..being English...I guess these things are catching..I am frightened to make people lose 'face' in public...very Chinese...

Yes.that Doctor Who episode was well...good.

Guillaume said...

Since I have lived quite a few years in England now, I guess that was to be expected.

psyconym said...

Indeed...sadly these things are catching...apparently cultural identity can be controlled and altered at will...so do not despair. If you go back to your homeland you will be able to return to your original cultural identity...though you might not want to go sans earl grey by this time. Its a fascinating topic... adapting to alien cultures...I found it very interest in China.