Monday 4 October 2021

The Monster Club

For today's countdown to Halloween reading suggestion: The Monster Club, by R. Chetwynd-Hayes. One ofthe best horror books I have read this year, to my surprise. It's a series of short stories that was the source material for a cult movie. The film is enjoyable enough and has its moments, but this is far, far superior. In fact, reading this, you will be surprised at how tame and often silly the adaptation was. Yes, the book has humour a plenty, but it is of the darker kind and even in the lightest moments you will find gruesome horror. The monsters of the title can be likeable, sometimes even sympathetic figures. They are nevertheless monsters in the proper sense, often malignant, always predatory. Even when they have the best intentions, they can inflict suffering, if not death. Many of the humans are unpleasant, if not downright evil, they also get their comeuppance, often in gory fashion. And they do not always deserve it. The Monster Club will make you laugh, it will make you shiver, probably at the same time.

3 comments:

Lady M said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I will see if our library has it.

Caffeinated Joe said...

I did not realize the movie stemmed from a book! How cool.

Haunted Eve said...

Mr. Haunted Eve here... I also did not know the movie was based on a book. I had seen the movie on TV in my mid teens during the afternoon on a weekend on which Halloween fell, so I always associated the movie with Halloween and developed an affection for the stories it presented. Will have to check out the actual book!