Tuesday 26 October 2021

"Soul cakes"

For today's countdown to Halloween post, an old, old, old seasonal tradition, often forgotten, that I have never practiced, until now (sort of). I read before about soul cakes, small round cakes given to children going door to door (in a primitive version of trick or treat) to pray for the dead. And it struck me recently that the pictures I have seen of soul cakes look a fair deal like the family's galettes aux raisins. Which we often bake around this time of year. While we don't add spices and they're not really round, there's still dry fruits in them and it would not take much to make this a proper soul cake. So anyway, I made a batch of galettes aux raisins a few days ago and for all practical purposes they will be this family's soul cakes.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i've often made soul cakes for halloween over the years. not this year though.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've only heard of soul cakes once in lyrics to an old song.