Sunday 15 December 2013

The Ancient Yuletide Carol

This is a decoration from the family Christmas tree: a pine-cone turned into a little person, maybe a gnome, holding proudly a Swedish flag. I am putting it up for a few reasons: because it is a beautiful, simple decoration, my family and I have a bit of history with Sweden and because as I blogged before I associate Christmas with Norse mythology. I love my Christmas primitive in a Pagan way, with the Christmas tree represents some representation of Yggdrasil, the mistletoe is the instrument of the god Balder's death and overall, is all about the return of light after darkness. I am very tempted to call it Yule. I will blog more about it in the coming weeks. Now, as I haven't uploaded music on Vraie Fiction for a long while, I thought about uploading a Christmas carol that is more secular and mentions Christmas' Pagan roots. I immediately thought about Deck the Halls, with its instructions to "Troll the ancient Yuletide carol". Although the troll of the lyrics is a verb, not a troll, it is still primitive. I was not much of a big fan of this particular carol, unless I started paying attention to the lyrics. Now I love it.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

One of my favourite carols too!

Guillaume said...

It is a great carol.