Wednesday 1 July 2020

Gamma Ray

Sometimes, it's not that I judge a beer by its bottle, its label or, in this instance, the image on its can, but I just want to drink it just because there is something cool about the container and to heck with the content. This is what made me try the Gamma Ray from the Beavertown Brewery. It's blonde and I don't care much about blonde beers. In fact, it's an American Pale Ale and I don't really care about that either, even though the beer itself is brewed in the UK. I tried it for the first time during our holidays in Derbyshire, where our friends offered one to me. And I found it okay. But I bought another can just for the absolutely uber cool image on it. It has a freaking UFO roasting a spaceman (alien or human I don't know) with a death ray, most likely the gamma ray of the title. It is sinister, it looks vaguely gory in a 50s pulp scifi nostalgia kind of way.  Otherwise, the beer is perfectly fine on a hot summer day with a barbecue (it's meant to be a juicy tropical beer after all, according the the Beavertown Brewery website), and apparently it won a prize, but truly buy it for the cool scifi image.

1 comment:

Ygraine said...

I'm not a beer drinker, but I can totally understand your buying it just for the image on the can!
I'm like that with liqueurs...I purchased my first bottle of Benedictine for the beautiful bottle and label, and now I'm hooked!
Next up will have to be a bottle of Chartreuse, simply for the gorgeous green colour!
I'm a real sucker for pretty colours and eye-catching labels!!!😉😉

Have a great day!