Sunday 5 July 2020

About The Wind in the Willows

As I was mentioning a few weeks ago, I was reading The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. I finished it since then and I wanted to blog about it again. As I had mentioned, I first came to this work of fiction through the TV series adaptation, which is one of my childhood's favourite memories. Nothing beats stop motion. It was then, it is still now, the most English thing I ever watched. I cannot say I was disappointed by the source material, but I did not enjoy it as much as I had hoped. Not sure what was lacking. I still had fun reading it, and it was nice meeting again Rat, Mole, Badger and Toad. And it is still the most English thing you can ever read (and I know Grahame was a Scot). There is just something about it that is very old England and timeless, with an appreciation of simple pleasures and a defiance of modernity. It is the book for the Anglophile and for the shameless nostalgic.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's just because there's no car chases, explosions, swearing or superheroes in it.