Sunday 19 May 2019

Gatekeeper

A few weeks ago, we went to The Apple Orchard in the village of West Wycombe. The Apple Orchard is a coffee shop that is also a mere shop, with furniture, articles for the garden and so on. I particularly liked one piece of sculpture for garden decoratio: this gatekeeper. I know it is a gatekeeper as it's  the name it has on its label. But truly, he looks like a beardless garden gnome with a distrustful and sinister expression. A gatekeeper of folklore and myths, guarding the entry to the Otherworld. Not all gnomes have to be jolly and friendly. This one is not. Since I love all things spooky, I was tempted to buy it, but at £24.50 it is a bit much and more importantly, I don't think my wife or little Wolfie would like it much. Nevertheless, I thought I would show it here, just because it is a cool looking critter.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I prefer this to those cutesy ones any day.

Lady M said...

What a great bit of garden art!