Monday 19 June 2023

Antique Sword

No, no, I'm not talking about Excalibur, the mythical sword of all mythical swords But it could be, even if it is not exactly in the right place for Excalibur to be. I read this news that got me really intrigued: they found a 3,000-year-old bronze sword in Germany, in excellent state of preservation. In pristine state in fact: the report says it almost still shines. It reminds me of a certain novel. But my literary tastes notwithstanding, I find the news simply intriguing. Antique magical swords are just a staple trope in myths and legends, it feels surreal when one just appears in real life. Because when they are in this perfect state, shining and all, it feels like it's a magical sword. I don't know, maybe I'm getting carried away, because of my wild imagination. What do you think?

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I heard this on the news too. I'd love to see a photo of it!

Alison said...

I've been reading about this too. There is a lot of debate about why the sword is in such good shape. My chemistry is pretty poor but I understand that depending on conditions etc.. its entirely possible for an item like the sword to be unearthed looking like it was put there yesterday. Wouldn't it be fun to know who the owner was!