Tuesday 2 December 2014

The Saga of the Volsungs

This the season to be reading, falala la la, etc. And read I do, and read I will. And like every year at Christmas, I will also give you some reading suggestions. As my readership knows, my reading list goes with the season. My brother PJ recently told me he reads medieval fantasy when winter and Christmas is coming. And as my readership knows, I associate Christmas with Viking mythology, because a lot of its imagery and symbols come from Norse mythology. Also, I associate Christmas with Dungeons & Dragons. Which means... Well, which means things inspired, at least partially, fron Norse mythology (especially our campaign, I may add). Nothing feels more like Christmas than reading a story from Viking mythology on a cold winter night.

So I have purchased in a certain independent bookshop, months ago, The Saga of the Volsungs. The Völsunga saga is also known as the story of Sigurd and the dragon. I blogged about it before. I know the story by heart, thanks to this book. But now I will read the real thing, not some modernized narrative. This has long been overdue. Christmas is a time of gods, heroes, light in the darkest, coldest time, of fire too... So this is very fitting. 

3 comments:

Nellie said...

Enjoy your reading! I like reading "Father Christmas Letters" at this time of year.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey Guillaume, you'll like this! An epic rap battle between Thor and Zeus (with subtitles so we can follow every pun, reference and zinger!):

http://youtu.be/i_xFOmYxKYw

Guillaume said...

@Nellie-Thanks. This is one I need to check.
@Debra-That was hilarious!