Tuesday 23 December 2014

Family traits and traditions

My parents were watching pictures of me taken recently in the UK and said that I looked very much "like an Archibald" (my mother's fmaily name). We kept talking about family resemblance and after a while, my mother asked me, in a vaguely suspicious tone: "Guillaume, do you use hair coloring?" I don't and wondered why she asked me such a thing. "Because when I was your age, my hair was already very white." Ouch! Just for the shock it created, remembering me of my age, it deserves to be a great unknown line. Little anecdote: my grandfather was secretly using hair coloring to hide his greying hair. We only learned about it years after his death, when my grandmother spilled the beans. I know my mother used some, with more moderation (thus hiding less), from her thirties onward. For the record, I never did and don't intend to ever do. But I find it strange that she thought I was following a secret family tradition.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

C'est marrant comme histoire, tu as de la chance de ne pas avoir de cheveux blancs, je n'ai même pas trente ans et j'en ai pas mal!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

haha...family traditions!

Anonymous said...

lol, family secrets,