Tuesday 1 March 2011

1rst of March, Saint David, Wales

It is the 1st of March today, which means that it is the Day of Saint David, the patron saint of Wales. I have a few Welsh friends (mainly acquaintances) and I am a medievalist so I love Wales. I love their flag and the place and their folklore and I wish I could speak the language. Anyway, for me Saint David's Day reminds me of two things: fellow Welsh actors throwing daffodils at in the crowd the end of a representation on the 1st of March and this scene of Henry V by Shakespeare, played wonderfully by Ian Holm and Kenneth Branagh in his magnificent movie adaptation (you can find the dialogue near the end of the video below). I want to see Wales again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Throwing daffodils? How lovely. I forgive the Welsh their utterly unprounceable place names. Its legends, myths, and beautiful landscapes is worth the linguistic torture. I just hope that on your next visit you don't get lost. Asking directions may prove challenging...