Friday 16 August 2024

Time to harvest apples?

I said it before, but autumn is on its way here: after a few days of heatwave, it is far cooler, and you can feel it in the air. One way for me to check if autumn is going to come early is to watch the colours of apples on trees. I took this picture back in July, in my in-laws' garden. And even then, the apples looked like they were reddening. Now it might be time to harvest them. My brothers and I used to pick up apples in my parents' garden round this time of year too. We loved this little autumnal ritual. I think it might be time to make it a new family tradition, only this side of the pond, and with a new generation. Ideally, I would grow an apple tree in our own garden, but I am a lousy gardener.

1 comment:

Alison said...

September is usually apple season in New Brunswick. Stirling's in Saint John has been the go-to for baskets of fresh apples. There are some u pick places outside the city as well. Locally there are lots of wild crab apple trees but they wouldn't be good for consumption.