Sunday 11 August 2024

Swordstick

 Today, I want to blog about (drumroll)... swordsticks. Why? Just because. I have always been quite fascinated by the swordstick, or cane-sword, as I knew it. It's a weapon that has elegance, stealth and, well, it's deadly in the wrong (or the right?) hands. It belongs to the stories of old, though: old adventure stories, or early crime fiction, maybe even spy fiction. Maybe because, from what I understand, it is pretty much illegal everwhere. And nobody uses canes anyway, except the elderly. When was the last time you saw someone wielding a swordstick in a movie or a TV show? If it was the case, it must have been a period piece. Or maybe a certain dystopian sci-fi film (which happens to be my favourite movie). Although in that particular one, the swordstick was more a knifestick. It was still cool though, as well as fitting the general retro-futuristic aesthetic of the film. The swordstick is generally used by a villain, but I could definitely see a darker (but elegant and gentlemanly) hero or an antihero wielding it in times of need. What do you think? In any case, swordstick is the word of the day.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Didn't John Steed of the old British series "The Avengers" have a sword or a knife in the end of his umbrella?

Anonymous said...

Steed did indeed have a sword in his Umbrella! Also, I think that swordsticks/canes are legal to have in the UK if they are antiques and don’t have any buttons that automatically release them or expose them, but I could be wrong…

Deadpan Flook said...

Oh, and this was me by the way…didn’t realise I was posting anonymously! 😅