Friday 24 June 2022

My people in Any Old Iron

 I have been rereading Any Old Iron, epic novel by my favourite writer Anthony Burgess. Today is also Saint Jean-Baptiste Day, which is Quebecker's National Day, or Fête nationale. So anyway, happy coincidence, this is what I read in the novel a few days ago: "The pub was crowded with Free French and Québecois and a  few Yanks as well as scrimshanking civilians (...)". So yes, I thought it was kinda cool. I know Anthony Burgess had affection and genuine respect for my people, which I might blog about one day. I will however comment on two slight mistakes Burgess made in this line: 1)Québécois has an accent on the second e, 2)it was not a very used term back in the 1930s/1940s where the scene takes place, thus the narrator is being rather anachronistic. Actually, I'm not even sure the term existed back then. Be that as it may, it's just nice to have us being mentioned and it is fitting that I blog this (re)discovery today.

1 comment: