Wednesday 1 June 2022

The Magic Flute Book

I had promised myself to behave last time I went to the local bookshop, but then I found something I had to buy for me, herr, I mean, for Wolfie. I found this book, which is a retelling of f Die Zauberflöte by Mozart. The Magic Flute. It is one of these books where you press a button and you hear a bit of music. Now it is a beautiful book, it has absolutely lovely illustrations, however I think it made serious and questionable changes to the story. I am not talking merely of cuts here: entire plot points are entirely rewritten and overall it is very different from the original libretto. Only the characters are the same, somewhat. And well, there is the music too, the lovely music. On the plus side, Wolfie has been enjoying it fairly well, at least he's been asking a lot of questions when I read it to him. So it was a good purchase. Anyway, to end this post, I have to share a bit of the score. I have decided to go for the quintet of the first act. It is literally one moral preaching and a lot of exposition, yet Mozart turns it into a charming piece.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wonderful! A great way to introduce Wolfie to Mozart and opera!