Tuesday 6 July 2021

The Big Ugly Casting

A month ago exactly, I blogged about The Big Ugly. A crime movie that was neither great nor inventive, but that I enjoyed a lot. One of the reasons why is that Malcolm McDowell and Ron Perlman play in it, and this casting was a stroke of genius. I also thought that it was quite interesting, as both have played in films that were direct or indirect works of Anthony Burgess. McDowell of course for A Clockwork Orange and Ron Perlman for Quest for Fire, which language was created by Burgess. So they in a way Burgessian actors. I think The Big Ugly is the only film they played opposite each other, in which case it's another reason to cherish it. In any case, whoever did the casting for this movie sure did his job well.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i'll have to check this out. i really like both of them.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm a fan of both actors too -- also of Clockwork Orange and Quest for Fire. I'd forgotten that Burgess created the language for the latter!