Tuesday 20 July 2021

Neptune? No, Poseidon!

 Here's a bit of old news which I wanted to comment on, but forgot about. It's not very old, it's from the 8th of July, but I still think it needs to be adressed. I say this because the news sort of slightly irritated me. So anyway, the BBC reported that the face of Neptune appeared in the waves during a storm in Newhaven. My initial reaction was: "Neptune? Surely this is Poseidon!" Those darn Brits conquered by the Romans and since then having no idea what the true god of the ocean is! I blame them and Caligula of course (I hope some of my readers know the historical reference here). Anyway, if this was indeed a good showing up, it was Poseidon.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You get worked up over the strangest things. Why is using the Roman name any less legitimate than using the Greek name?

Guillaume said...

It just irks me because Roman names are often used even in a Greek context, they don't sound as cool and in Amy case,they came after. So as far as I'm concerned, this is Poseidon.

Beverly said...

I"m with you