Friday 22 January 2021

Shosholoza

Sometimes there are songs that get stuck in my head and I don't even now where I discovered it. This is the case of Shosholoza, a traditional South African song which was featured in the movie Invictus, based on real events about the Rugby World Cup of 1995. I haven't seen the film yet, but my in-laws bought me the DVD as a Christmas present. My father-in-law is South African and like many South Africans he loves rugby you see. In this household, we do not follow rugby, but we did a bit for the last World Cup. I know the song has a far deeper significance for South Africa country, but for me it is a catchy rugby song. I decided to share it here, with lyrics and translation.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's a great song, isn't it? Another reminder not to forget or minimize the injustice of colonialism and exploitation.