Friday 26 April 2019

"Gorgeous George"

Of all the English towns and cities I know, only Wallingford does something special to celebrate Saint George and his day, although it does not celebrate it on the day itself. They commemorate it the Saturday before or after. Apparently, this year it will be tomorrow, but I might be wrong. Depending on how the weather will be, we might go there. It is fitting that they make a big thing of it in Wallingford, as it is maybe the most English place I have ever known. Every year, I pay homage to Saint George in a rather simplistic manner: I just drink a pint of one of the many beers named in his honour and that's that.

This is what happened last year at the Old Post Office in Wallingford, where I tried a pint of Gorgeous George from Loddon Brewery. I rarely drink Loddon Brewery products, not that I find them bad but they rarely leave any impression on me. Of Gorgeous George, I only remember the label on the pump and the fact that it was rather blonde. I was expecting something a bit darker and redder, like the blushing (and utterly unheroic) knight on the label. I wonder if it will be available tomorrow, either there or elsewhere if we go elsewhere. I might try it again.

No comments: