Saturday 28 November 2020

Anatomy of a Train

I took this picture about five years ago at the the National Railway Museum of York. I learned on their Facebook page that it will (should?) reopen on the 3rd of December. I'm not sure if I would take the risk so early, but I do hope this will be the next museum we will visit as a family. I think it would fascinate Wolfie. rewatching as I often do the old pictures of our trip, It struck me that he would enjoy the NRM for sometimes different reasons than me. I love what trains and train travels represent at an almost symbolic level. I often blogged about it. I think he will also and especially love the technical aspect of trains. He should really enjoy for instance this steam engine opened up to show its mechanism and how it works. I find it interesting, impressive even, but I am not technical enough to truly appreciate the amount of work and technology that is needed to make such engine possible. Wolfie is very young of course, but he quickly gets that. He's a natural engineer.

1 comment:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i just gave my son in law my unused Z train that i bought 35 years ago in germany. he immediately set it up and has it running. i am very happy it's being used.