Wednesday 11 November 2020

Purple Poppies

I mentioned yesterday that we took a walk in the local park, where the fences have been covered by poppies. Red poppies and blue poppies. Being a bit short on time when I wrote the post and horribly lazy, I published the picture of the wall of poppies without checking what the blue poppies meant. Rachel Lucas (AKA Mozart's Girl) commented that the blue poppies are to commemorate the work and sacrifice of the serving animals in wartime. A very kind and thoughtful gesture, as animals have been used and are still used at war and have been the victims of wars. My wife also told me that I should have asked her before posting, because she knew already. Anyway, I managed to do a bit of research after publishing the post and it appears that the colour is not blue but actually purple, it is a purple poppy. For more information on the various remembrance poppies seen on Remembrance Day and their significance, please read this article from the BBC. And I hope you will all commemorate today.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

There's a beautiful monument in London commemorating the sacrifices of animals in war. I saw it from a tour bus when I was there. I'd love to see it up close and in person someday.