Wednesday 25 November 2020

The Catherine Wheel

You may remember that last year, I blogged about the The Catherine Wheel, a Wetherspoon pub in Henley. Or, more specifically, the sign of The Catherine Wheel in Henley. The reason was simple: it was Saint Catherine's Day and this was an excuse to learn about the saint and why she is associated to this breaking wheel, which is of course an instrument of torture. The name of the pub and the image always intrigued me. Well, today is also Saint Catherine's Day and I am sharing another photo of the ensign of the Catherine Wheel in Henley. I took it back in January this year, during a visit in the town and I have literally been waiting all year to share it with you today (very sad, I know). So here it is. A gloomy image inviting you to go in, eat, drink and be merry. Gory, but cool.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, not a cheery image at all. I wonder if many people actually know what a Catherine Wheel is?