Thursday 4 July 2019

The United States of (South) Africa

Today is a day to celebrate and I wanted to mention it on the blog. I don't do it every year, but decided to do it today: it is the birthday of South African crime writer Deon Meyer. You didn't expect that, did you? He is one of my favourite crime writers and from my contacts with him through social media, a bona fide nice guy. It is kind of fitting that his birthday is on the 4th of July, as in many ways South Africa has tried through history to emulate the United States of America in many ways. Or so I have been told by my brother-in-law, who visited the country a few times when he was a child, his father (my father-in-law) being South African himself. Old racial tensions, high crime, the violence, the gun culture even, but also the economic development, they are shared by both countries. So happy birthday Mr Meyer (not certain if sayong "oom" is too familiar).

No comments: