Sunday 17 March 2019

This year's Saint Patrick's Day

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone! I hope everybody is enjoying it, hopefully with a good pint of Guinness, like I did earlier on today. Sadly, our local Irish pub is gone, so I had to take it in one of the many, mundane English (shudder) pub. But I should not complain: Saint Paddy's Day truly is a celebration of the Irish diaspora and expats. Although I would give a lot to celebrate in Ireland itself, once in my life. Funny little anecdote: we know for sure that little Wolfie does have some Irish blood, from his maternal grandmother's side, whose grandmother was a bona fide Irish. This is far remote and we cannot claim that we truly are Irish, but that makes him one of the 60 millions people with an Irish ancestry. One of his aunts (my wife of my wife's brother) is Irish, and her daughter (Wolfie's cousin) now has Irish citizenship and passport. So our link with Ireland is stronger than one may think. That said, I don't want to make to overplay it. I love Ireland, but I want to avoid becoming a Plastic Paddy (see my recent posts on the subject). So I end this post with The Simpsons' take on Saint Patrick's Day. It is silly, full of clichés and stereotypes, very Plastic Paddyish, but hilarious all the same.

No comments: