Monday 18 March 2019

Jack the Ripper identified?

In fiction, I am not a big fan of stories of serial killers. Neither am I about the serial killers in real life, come to think of it. Even though I love reading and learning about true crimes. That said, I always had a certain macabre fascination for Jack the Ripper. I am not an expert, neither am I an amateur, mind you, I don't know every little details of his crimes, the ongoing investigation and the mystery of his identity, but I have a certain sinister curiosity towards him. So I was very surprised and excited when I learned that he may finally have been identified today, as Polish immigrant Aaron Kosminski. it is what a new study claims anyway, using forensic and DNA evidence. But I am very skeptical. Again, I am not an expert, but things seem shoddy to me: how could we identify the DNA of Kosminski without the shadow of a doubt, is the scarf allegedly belonging to one of Jack's victims genuine to begin with and did they lead the evidence? These are only a few questions that the research does not seem to answer for now. In any case, this piece of news shows how Jack the Ripper still fascinates, more than a hundred years after his murders.

Addendum: Apparently the same "discovery" has been made by the same team back in 2014, making the same claim. So that's hogwash. Aaron Kosminski might still be Jack the Ripper, but this is not the proof people have been waiting for and the mystery of the true identity of Jack the Ripper remains.

2 comments:

Rachel Lucas said...

I'm really skeptical about this claim too Guillaume - I was a bit obsessed by the crimes of Jack the Ripper as a n older child and I know loads about it! I'm currently reading a great book called 'The Five' which is the biographies of the five victims, centering on them and their lives rather than the horrible facts of their deaths. It's really very good! For instance - most of the women were NOT prostitutes at all! It was just a way for the police and media to make the facts more lurid and apportion blame for the murders to their' lewd lifestyles'. Fascinating stuff! Have a great day!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I don't think the mystery of Jack the Ripper can or will ever be truly solved.