Sunday 9 December 2018

Nanaimo bars

We were invited today by a friend of my wife, a mother of twins a year older than Wolfie, to go to their place for an afternoon meal. She is a Canadian from Alberta married to a Brit and, while we don't know her all that much for now, she seems very eager to develop a friendship with us. My guess is that because our family situations mirror each other's: Canadians (not that I feel very Canadian mind you) married to an English person. Anyway, it was a very a pleasant time, their two boys were sweet and Wolfie enjoyed himself too. She had said to my wife that she had prepared (for the first time) a typical Canadian delicacy. I rightly guessed that it was Nanaimo bars. Now it does not come from Québec, or indeed Alberta, but I know Nanaimo bars very much as it was often parts of our Christmastime desserts in my family and the family of my friends. I don't remember eating them any other time of the year. So it was fitting and it tasted of home. It is a very nice dessert, shamelessly indulgent, full of sugar and so very easy to munch.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

People from Alberta are friendly cusses, you know. And Nanaimo Bars -- yum! All you need now is a Butter Tart to go with it!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i know these so well but have never made them. it's so nice to get a taste of home.

Lady M said...


Those look so yummy!

Veggie Carrie said...

They were so good. She was very apologetic that she hadn't made butter tarts too but she ran out of time.