Sunday 16 December 2018

A Star in the East

My wife suggested that I put more Christmas music on Vraie Fiction. I agree with her, so tonight I decided to put something from the Christmas album of Harry Belafonte. I thought about Mary's Boy Child first, as there is a version of it that is sung everywhere on the radio these days, but I shared this one in 2016, so here is another one from the album, lesser known now. It might surprise you that an atheist like myself goes for religious Christmas music instead of the many secular songs the season has given, but in fact I always preferred traditional Christmas music. Especially when sung by Belafonte, whose soothing voice has just the right level emotion,. There is genuine love and reverence in it. And this is a voice that calls back to the Christmas of my childhood, when my parents played this album over and over again.

No comments: