Friday 28 December 2018

A mysterious wizard

This little statue of a mage, looking vaguely like Merlin or Gandalf, is in the basement of the family home, standing near the table where we usually play our sessions of Dungeons & Dragons. It is one of many figures of creatures, monsters, gargoyles, or knights that we have in the basement's living room and which, alongside the laminated posters of medieval or pseudo medieval subjects (one about a medieval festival, another about the runic stones) that gives our gaming place a special atmosphere, as well as provide some inspiration. As long time readers of this blog know, my brothers and I only play during Christmastime now, when we can all be together there. Of all the figures we have, this is the one I prefer, although I have no idea where it was bought, by whom, and who he is supposed to represent, if anyone. I sometimes wished he had made his way in our games, turned into one of the many characters we met over the years. What is his name? Where is he from? What is his history? How old is he? And what about the crystal shard he is holding? Is it me or is the wizard looking at it with concern? So many questions, which I hope one day we will find answers.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I bet some hippy made that statue.