Tuesday 2 February 2021

Blast from the working past

This morning, a former colleague of mine, from the employer I hated, texted me on LinkedIn, asking me about the password to access a platform we used sometimes. As I always got along well with him, he was not asking for much and I wanted to be on good terms (you never know), I got back to him and gave him what he wanted. But next time, if there is a next time, I think I might just ignore any call for assistance. I no longer work for them, I don't need to waste my time on such queries and I have no obligation, legal, moral or otherwise. Still, it felt strange to hear from him and it just struck me that I really don't miss the old office. It also struck me that this call for assistance was symptomatic of the office politics there: disorganised, unable to solve things by themselves or take initiatives, delegating whenever there was any problem or whenever they could not be bothered to do something tedious. Can't find a password? Don't ask IT, ask the guy who set it up in the first place! If I ever find my current job or indeed any future job difficult, I just need to remember the years spent in that madhouse.

No comments: