Tuesday 4 February 2020

An old pulpy book

We used to have an Oxfam bookshop in our little town, which closed down a few months ago, to my great sadness. I rarely found anything good in it, but sometimes I stumbled upon real treasures, or simply interesting little books, long forgotten titles. This is where I found the thriller I am currently reading: Alice by E.V. Cummingham (one of the pennames of Howard Fast). I knew nothing of the author when I bought it (and still don't). I was just intrigued by what the back cover told and I trusted that Pan Books would deliver, as they generally do. The novel or novella (it is only 156 pages) was first published in 1963, this edition is from 1965. It cost me £1.99. The price tag is still on its back cover. I think I might leave it there. The pages are dry and yellow, otherwise not too worn out, but gosh I love to have something like this. There is just something about long forgotten books you find at random.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, Pan Books! I haven't thought of them in years! I remember reading some of their publications when I was young.