Monday 30 April 2018

Walpurgis Night!

As it is the last day of April, tonight is Walpurgis Night, the old Pagan celebration where devils, ghosts and other critters roam the earth and witches gather in sabbath to do mischiefs. If it sounds like a Halloween for April, it's because it is exactly that. I start longing for Halloween pretty much the moment it is over, so with time Walpurgis Night has become an important part of my countdown to it: I read a few scary stories if I have time, start thinking of decorations and books to buy, etc. I cannot remember when I first heard about Walpurgisnacht, but I think it might have been in the book of the year I mentioned here, in that article about witches. They were naming the important dates in the year when witches gathered, among them the 30th of April. This is where the picture on your right was taken. She is holding her broomstick in an odd fashion, otherwise she is a properly ugly, nasty, menacing witch. And even as a cat lover, I find her black cat downright demonic looking. Beware if you see her or any of her kin tonight!

1 comment:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

half way to halloween and 7 weeks until the days start to shorten! woohoo!