Tuesday 10 April 2018

About Caligula

I am reading I, Claudius by Robert Graves, which first book I should expect to finish soon. Then on to a different kind of read, then I will go back to more of Graves story with the second book. But I digress. You can read more about what I think of it so far in this post. Among the many fascinating characters of the novel is Emperor Caligula, the first mad emperor. I found one quote about him by his uncle Claudius (who narrates the novel) particularly interesting: "He was beginning to be unpopular. That the crowds always likes a holiday is a common saying, but when the whole year becomes one long holiday, and nobody has time for attending to his business, and pleasure becomes compulsory, then it is a different matter."

Pretty contemporary, isn't it? There are some of our rulers who fit this bill perfectly. And to think this is meant to be about Ancient Rome.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've seen the classic BBC production with Derek Jacobi but I've never read the books, so good for you! And hey, didn't they just remake this (or are about to remake this) in a new mini-series, or am I dreaming?