Sunday 1 May 2016

Marsh or Swamp?

I took this picture yesterday, in the local park near the Thames. I should say at the edge of the park really. There is a walking path nearby, but I am not sure if it is still the park when we walk there. I am not certain if it is a marsh or a swamp. In French it is the same word: marais. Whatever the right term, this place is like a bit of wilderness so close to town, I always found it quite nice to look at. I once blogged that I found swamps sinister. Well, in the middle of a sunny day like this one, it does not look very sinister. Although danger and horror can happen in a sunny day, so maybe this amenable look is hiding a sinister nature. But I digress. Is it a marsh or a swamp? Either way, I love it.

2 comments:

PJ said...

Il y a bien deux mots en français aussi: marais et marécage. Sur Wiki, l'article marsh dirige en français vers marécage, qui redirige sur l'article de marais, vu que la distinction est donnée sur deux lignes. Supposément, c'est relatif à la présence d'arbres, mais honnêtement, ce n'est pas clair lequel des deux, en français, est celui où il y en a ou pas.

Guillaume said...

Ah oui, j'avais oublié marécage! Je crois qu'en effet la distinction n'est pas claire, alors j'imagine qu'on peut dire l'un ou l'autre. Et sur cette photo il y a des arbres, mais assez peu.