Tuesday 22 January 2013

A thought about Obama

I am a bit late commenting the news. Four years ago, I was three quarters unemployed (I mean unemployed most of the time), so I watched live the inauguration of Barack Obama. History had been made that day, of course I did not write a long analysis of it, I was speechless about it, I am still speechless now. I did, however, made an interesting (if I may say so myself) observation about the passing of a morally bankrupt, backward administration to another that we hoped would be better: more modern, more progressist, more liberating. The president of United States is not only the chief of state of the most powerful nation in the world, he is the de facto leader of the free world.

I know Obama disappointed in many ways. He was condemned to disappoint, at least in his own country. However, he has been so far a much better president than his predecessor and we are in a much, much better place since he has been in power. I feared that he would lose the elections last November, that the US would go backwards again. The Republican party being hijacked by ignorant, religious wackos, and gun loving madmen (yes, I mean that idiot). And, well, I love the man. I blogged once that I shared two things with Obama: same tastes in TV dramas and a book. I should have said three: Barack Obama, like me, prefers Dijon mustard on his burgers. True anecdotal story, which some right-wing retards created a controversy about. His opponents were often, are often, ignorant Philistines, even when it comes to condiments. I, for one, find it reassuring that the leader of the free world is a man of taste. On a more serious note, I am glad that we are going to have four more years of him, which means four years without a war on contraceptives, four years of a bit more gun control, four years where gay rights will progress in the United States (maybe even to the point where same-sex marriages will be legal), four years of secularism, four years of something we can call progress.

5 comments:

PJ said...

Ces quatre ans de bonnes choses, c'est si le congrès coopère, ce qui n'est pas gagné. Les Républicains sont peut-être ignares et bornés, mais ils sont passés maître dans l'art de court-circuiter le processus politique à leur guise.

Les Conservateurs de chez nous ont appris à faire la même chose, à gamer le système à leur avantage. Toute la population paye pour ça.

Guillaume said...

Oh, je ne crois pas que ce sera le paradis sur terre, mais un Congrès hostile à un président progressiste, c'est mieux qu'un congrès au service d'un président réactionnaire, ou un président dans le lit avec les obscurantistes. Imagine une présidence McCain en 2008, ou le début d'une présidence Romney maintenant.

PJ said...

Bien sûr qu'il est mieux que the other guy, on espère juste qu'il aura plus de couilles dans son deuxième mandat. Pas qu'il n'en avait pas avant, mais quand même...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I agree: "Condiments make the man." Do you have any Grey Poupon?

Cynthia said...

Le problème avec le parti républicain c'est qu'il y a des gens relativement bien comme Mccain mais aussitôt qu'ils veulent s'élever ils doivent se conformer à l'esprit néo-cons qui revientà peu près à la même chose que d'amputer une partie de son cerveau