Sunday 8 June 2008

20,000 Leages Under the Sea

Hey, You can find 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on youtube. There's a nice little adventure movie right there. I always loved it. I am feeling a bit guilty about watching it on youtube, but sometimes it is the only way to get your hand on something when you want to watch it. And it has been put there by people who genuinly love the movie. I will need to buy the DVD eventually. Summer puts me in the mood for escapist movies and literature, especially sea adventures (that said I never watched Pirates of the Carribeans nor cared about it), or stories with tropical settings. If I want to watch a James Bond this time of year, it will most likely be Dr. No or Thunderball. If I want something a bit more serious, it will be Moby Dick with Gregory Peck. I was crazy about that movie when I was a child. Anyway, I read Moby Dick twice (once when I was 11 after watching the movie, once when I was 18 in cégep) and I promised myself to read it in original English. I will also have to read the original 20,000 Lieues sous les Mers novel one day. This year, I already have a lot to read for the summer and I don't have the book yet. I want to read it in original French of course. Jules Verne was not a great writer, but he was inventive. Sometimes that's all you are looking for. I am surprised I haven't read it yet actually. When I was a child, my brothers and I had an obsession for high sea adventures. Our family got a pool at an early age, and our child out games during summertime set around the pool usually evolved around pirates (ancient or modern), shark attacks, giant squid attacks, typhoons (use making waves in the pool) or a variation of everything. We had a wild imagination.

No comments: