Tuesday 12 August 2008

August melancholy

I have written here (in French) that there is something sad about August (Jazz blogged on the same topic here): it's the end of Summer, end of holidays, Autumn is showing itself and we are remembering that time is passing. I witnessed this today: some leaves have already changed colour and while it is warm, it is definitely no longer hot outside. It smells like the end of Summer, I feel like I used to feel when I was a child around that time of year. Even when I don't go to school anymore (not as a student anyway), I have the same feeling of impending doom (I know, it's melodramatic but how else would you qualify the end of the holidays?). It was hot and sunny most of the day, and all of a sudden it started raining heavily. It didn't last long, just enough to give us a rainbow. I took a picture of it, as you can see. It doesn't cure my melancholy, but it's nice to look at.

3 comments:

Frankofile said...

I think the academics (in the Northern hemisphere anyway) have it right: a new year starts in September, not January. And that rainbow is a sign of hope. A good omen.

Jazz said...

Impending doom. That sounds about right...

Gwen Buchanan said...

Very cool picture... hey yeah, it does seem like a season change here too.. been very cool for a while now... and my lilac leaves are getting spotty... But I am still picking raspberries.. hard to believe..