Tuesday 21 March 2023

Stock Ticker

During one of my nostalgic daydream sessions, I thought about Stock Ticker, a board game that is now out-of-print. Back when I was a child and I was obsessing about board games, my dad had bought it among other ones, I think as a Christmas present. It's one of these capitalist, business based game, like Monopoly, where the aim is to accumulate wealth. In Stock Ticker, you play the stock market, buying and selling commodities and getting dividendes from them. Or not. Why my brothers and I ended up liking this game is a bit of a mystery: we usually liked board games that had a dramatic premise, like Cluedo or Scotland Yard, premise that could be developed and expanded into make-belief games. Stock Ticker did not really have a plot, characters, setting or atmosphere. And on top of that I was never very good playing money games, lacking the business mind for it. I think the board and equipment had an appealing aesthetic, maybe the idea of dealing with gold and silver did stimulate our imagination too. be that as it may, we did not play Stock Ticker very often, but we enjoyed it. And years later we use its cash to play poker. But that is another story for another post.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Never heard of this game before!