Monday 6 March 2023

ATV(?)

We live in a small town here. We love it, that is why we remained where we are for nearly 16 years now. We saw a few strange signs in the years we have been here. Especially on the road. Old, vintage vehicles,mainly, and some other kinds of vehicles that simply have no place in town, however small. Last week, we saw an all-terrain vehicle on one of the main roads. It's not the first time. At least there was only one: last year I saw (and heard) three of them. And my question every time I see one is: what they is it doing here? I mean we are not a big city, but we're not exactly a remote little hamlet in the middle of nowhere. These things are from what I understand quite polluting. They are certainly noisy as hell, in any case (and noise is another form of pollution). I always found them kind of chavy too, in any circumstances, but especially in town. And I don't think they are very safe or driven by very safe people, for a town with lots of families and young children. So who is the genius who  thinks it is a good, sensible idea to drive them here as if they were in the middle of the tundra? I really want to know.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What kind of road laws do you have in Britain? In Canada, it's illegal to drive ATVs on any public road or street. They are off-road vehicles only.

Alison said...

Debra is right about Canada, but here, like there I'm sure, lack of policing means you get all sorts on any driveable surface. In fact, I've seen some vehicles where we are that I'm sure aren't meant to be on public roads and the police have driven straight past them.