Monday 25 February 2019

Anthony Burgess' 102nd year

I do it every year, or at least try to do it every year: I hereby mention that today, 25th of February, is the birthday of John Anthony Burgess Wilson, better known as Anthony Burgess. He would have been 102 today.He is my favourite writer. If you wonder why, please read this post, or that post, or this one. Or this post too, come to think of it. Bottom lime is: he is great. And I hope you find time to discover him. I wanted to find a good picture to celebrate his anniversary, I found this one which I thought was so typically Burgessian: the rather ugly, outlandish suit, the cigar, the painting in the background. Cultured, bon vivant, with a dash of snobbery. Yet look at the sharpness in his eyes. Burgess may have been rather ugly (even his second wife, whom I met, said that much), but he had a beautiful mind.

No comments: